Saturday, March 1, 2014

Whole Cloth Quilt

I've been working on a new project here lately.  It's nothing special, really.  Just a little whole cloth baby quilt with a farm theme.  It has been a great way to get me back into the swing of things with free motion quilting.  Since I do not own a long-arm machine, top quilting can be somewhat challenging at times.  I found this panel on sale at a little shop in Princeton, WV.  This place was small and at first sight, I wasn't too sure...


But it ended up being a great little shop.  Granny's Sewing Room looked as though it had been around a while, as some of the books for sale were quite dated.  However, "Granny" herself was surprisingly quite young looking.  She and her staff were pleasant and helpful, they had a variety of fabrics and notions and even do alterations!  I would link them here, but I cannot find a website.  They are located at 1119 Mercer St Princeton, WV  24740, in case you are ever going to be traveling through the Princeton, WV area.

 

It may be a small quilt (and a whole cloth quilt at that), but it had many opportunities for top quilting.  As I mentioned, I don't own a long-arm yet, this was all done on my regular machine.  I raced to finish the top quilting before my carpal tunnel surgery and succeeded.  However, it still needs binding!  I will post the finished results once my wrist heals enough to bind it.  Let me just say, I am quite impatient and desperately wanting to get back to my quilting!

I have finally healed enough to bind my farm quilt.  The top quilting was a lot of fun, but I found myself somewhat "rusty" at binding.  Then again... I've been getting "rusty" at many things lately!  

Here's a photo of the finished product!  I'm proud of myself, considering I did this while dealing with carpal tunnel pain.  Then finished it after the healing process of corrective surgery.  It was like physical therapy, helping work out that last bit of soreness in my hand and wrist.

Farm life is new to me, but I do love it!  That's why this fabric attracted me.  It "speaks" of old farm days, one room schoolhouses, simpler times, and fresh country air!




Today was one of those beautiful days with blue skies and white, puffy clouds. It was an absolutely, positively, gorgeous spring day!  Here is a photo showing how I echoed the shape of the clouds when quilting the sky on this quilt.  I think I might have gone a lil' bit crazy with it, but I was just having way too much fun!



I hope you like the finished result!

No comments:

Post a Comment